Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Manila Restaurants: Banana Leaf


I remember the first time I tried Banana Leaf via their Podium branch in Ortigas and how I immediately fell in love with it. The ambiance -- the uniforms of the waiters/waitresses, the interiors, the chairs, and the wall ornaments -- made me feel as if I were somewhere in Indonesia and Malaysia. The menu made me think of Singapore, Thailand and India. The experience of eating in a literal banana leaf reminded me that I was in the Philippines.

 Yes, that banana leaf will be your plate

Unfortunately, my recent experience with Banana Leaf is somewhat disappointing. I don't know if it was because I was in a different branch (Greenhills branch), but all my high expectations were shattered.

First, the waiting list. It was a Sunday and a LOT of people were waiting in line so I didn't really mind being in the waiting list. However, maybe because a lot of people were complaining already, the order of the list wasn't being followed anymore. We had to be very vigilant to secure us a seat.

Second, the ordering. We waited a very long time before finally one of the waitresses noticed that we were ready to order. I'm not sure if it was because of the number of people that were there, but that shouldn't be an excuse to keep your guests waiting when they haven't even ordered anything yet.



Banana Leaf Curry Roti. The curry sauce is really really good

Third, the incomplete orders. My boyfriend and I ordered some Curry Roti, Malayan Chicken Curry with Potatoes, and Spare Ribs with Coffee Sauce. Unfortunately when our orders arrived, only the Roti and the Spare Ribs were served. So where was our Chicken curry? Yes, they forgot.

Spare Ribs with coffee sauce. Sweet and salty but very palatable

Finally when our curry arrived, we had asked the waitress to heat the spare ribs up for us because it was already cold and has solidified. When she arrived, the sauce was gone. =/

I guess I won't be visiting Banana Leaf Greenhills (Promenade) for a while.

To know more about Banana Leaf, please visit their website at: www.bananaleaf.com.ph
They have branches in the major malls such as Greenbelt, Trinoma, The Podium, Power Plant Mall, Robinson's Place Manila, The Block (SM City North), and Promenade (Greenhills).

No comments: